sunnuntai 1. kesäkuuta 2014

a dream come true

I've been interested of photography for a long time and that's what I've been doing since I don't know when. In the last semester in school i took a photography course and the main project was to make this photo collection within the themes live or/and dreams.
I made this project with my friend, and then another friend of mine did the make-up and acted the main character.
And surprise, surprise, we made a story, a dream, that was more like a nightmare.
After a lot of intensive work, schedule-fails, stressful timetables and hours gone waste to waiting and messing around, we finished the collection in approx. two and a half weeks. Never again, please. But we were satisfied, we had done a great job, and our little movie with Intro by Alt-j (album: An awesome wave) as soundtrack got really positive feedback from the other students and our principal at our school.
I had done pretty much everything I could have done to make it good, and the result was what it was supposed to be.

Well, you know, as a photographer I've been (like many others) dreaming of getting my photos to an exhibition. But it's so expensive, plus the expenses in only getting the pictures printed, so it has remained as a dream. I haven't really had real collections before this either, (only travel pictures), and they rarely were good or special enough to be noticed either. And I'm still so young that I haven't had time to really concentrate on photography, as I've been in school, you know. But it would be so awesome to one day get my pictures in a gallery, open for the public, and be called and artist, a photographer.

 my account on flickr

Nowadays I'm a volunteer at a cafe called Kirjakahvila in Turku (all the workers are volunteers except the chef and the office-guy basically). Different artists exhibit their art there for a month at a time (for a low cost). Suddenly the artist, who should have come in June cancelled, so the ones responsible for the art part of the cafe started asking the workers, if someone wanted to (for free) bring their art for a month long exhibition. I though it would have been a great opportunity, but oh wait, I didn't have any collection, or at least anything worth putting on the walls of Kirjakahvila. So annoying. Greatest chance ever but I din't have anything worth a spot on an exhibition. I still want to keep my pride.
There was an evening when I talked with some fellow volunteers about different topics within culture, and I mentioned our project in school. This was around a week before the deadline. They all looked at me and said: "You should participate in the exhibition in June!"
I stopped for a second
I felt stupid because I hadn't realize that I actually had a collection going on
Then I felt like "yeah, maybe, actually yeah why not.."
Somehow I was so surprised of the opportunity
And happy as shit
So I went and talked to one of the volunteers responsible for the exhibitions, who happened to be there too.
I talked with my project team.
Green light.

It all happened so fast, we finished the collection with a hooray and big smiles, I got a final green light from the gallery people and then last week I went to a photo shop and printed 21 photos, the best from the collection.
AND I AM SO EXCITED I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY

Today we hang the pictures up on two of the walls, and it took almost 3 hours.







It was hard work, and the result wasn't maybe the most symmetrical possible, but now the art is on the wall, among art of other volunteers.
It's said that symmetry is a sign of madness.

The official opening is on Wednesday 4th of June at 7pm, and the art is on the walls until the end of this month.

You have no idea of how excited I am!!!
I just can't believe that my dream came true already! That it came true at all!

WOOHOO

Escape from my subconsciousness by Fanny Mäkelä & Katarina Jokinen
with a little help from Cia Jönsson and a lot of help from Alexandra Wärn.

You have no idea how difficult it was to come up with a good name. And names are very very important to me. I hope that I'll be satisfied with it until the end of June at least, it's not the best possible, but it was the best we could come up with.

Welcome! :)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti